is the r125 just for teens!!!

Discussion in 'YZF R125 General Discussions' started by taron, Apr 21, 2011.

1. im about to buy the r125 matt black and gold, but my mates keep telling me its for teens! im 23 and just need the bike for commuting (selling my car to make a massive anual saving!) but dont like the ybr or the commuter looking bikes! and wouldnt fit or be seen on a moped (6ft2)
    anyway, whats the average age on here?

2. L-J-P

L-J-P staff Staff Member

no there is people riding these that are older than you :) this is a perfect bike for commuting and you will notice a saving, if you don't get the modding bug ;) don't worry about it mate, its a fast reliable bike, you will be happy!

3. agreed its a great commuter. I'm 25 putting around 240 miles a week on the clock and at £13 quid a tank I cant complain.

4. cool! i literally have a 6 mile commute to work and 6 mile back home, so not far. and my car cost a bomb 30quid a week petrol not mentioning tax or insurance its depressing. all the ppl i know who ride bikes and have r6's or 1000s tell me go straight for the full licence and get a 600! which makes sense but then i think i could sell my car tomo do my cbt the following day and have a brand new 125 by the weekend!

5. YZFDanR125

YZFDanR125 Member

Just what I was talking about in a previous topic...
    We get labelled with the rest... Me personally would say no it isn't for teens..
    I'm 20 and riding on the yzf and have been since august last year and plan on keeping it for a few years too..
    I've got rid of both my cars due too the expense and having a baby on the way also!
    I get roughly 230/250 miles to a full tank.. And that's with the odd hard ride...
    It's a brilliant all round bike with a lot to offer..
    I do roughly around 300miles if not more a week... And it's never let me down...
    Easy to work on plenty of mods available too make it your own I'd say go for it buddy.

6. economy wise i know ill save a killing! just wondered if i was too old for one! lol

7. YZFDanR125

YZFDanR125 Member

Your never to old buddy ;)
    Best thing I've ever done if I'm honest...

8. You think you might be to old,what chance have I got then at the tender age of 62?

9. R125 Rob

R125 Rob Member

Well, I'm 17 and ALL of my mates are jealous of me! :D
    (Even the one with a Honda RVF 400)

I don't see any reason why you would be too old for one, they look awesome!

10. YZFDanR125

YZFDanR125 Member

Have to agree they are the best looking 125 in it's class.

11. haha my grandad is 62 couldnt imagine him on 1! would be a good sight!

12. my mates are my age and all have full licences and have 600+ bikes so its them saying its for teens which i can understand, but its the ease of being able to buy, since i have the money and i know its just a 1 day cbt away!

13. YZFDanR125

YZFDanR125 Member

Go for it mate, cheaper tax at £15 a year... Cheaper insurance... Cheaper too run.. Great looks.... All just makes sence...

JsyBiker likes this.
  14. Kinetic

Kinetic Member

Not very good at overtaking lol ,,,, but i love it and i am 32

15. YZFDanR125

YZFDanR125 Member

Mines not bad personal best top speed of 83 everything standard (engine wise ) apart from the air valve mod is good I reckon :)

16. Firefly

Firefly Member

Methinks you are buying it for you and not your mates :)
    What these dudes haven't really told you is how much it's costing them to insure their 600+cc bikes, and the fuel consumption CAN be high too. Then of course, if you're just into biking for the first time and ARE planning to stay alive for the duration, it is very, very safe to start off with a Learner Legal Sports Bike like the YZF-R125 and hone your skills on that to begin with, then after a year or two, once you've REALLY got your roadcraft down to a fine art, proceed to an R6 or similar.

At least, you'll stand a much better chance of not getting hurt, and you'll save a <bleep> load of money into the bargain :)

So, yes, very good idea indeed. Get the YZF-R125 by all means, and enjoy your commuting. And please ignore the ribbing you'll get from your mates. It's your life, and your pockets!
    There's a recession on. Save money, the R125 is an excellent bike for commuting, and you can still get done for speeding on it (easily - especially after you've run it in).

I barrel up and down the A406 on mine, commuting to work most days, and I literally have to watch my speed.
    It's no R6 substitute, but you'd be surprised what this 125cc beastie can really do. Anyway, with a 12 mile round trip to work everyday, I guarantee you'll arrive at each destination with a big grin on your face.

I'm 5' 7" and my feet just about reach the ground - this bike is BIG and was made for people your size really ;)
    Oh, and who on Earth told you it was a bike for Teens only? That's NOT true!
    I'm 50 years old, and I found the size of the bike intimidating when I got it.
    Make no mistake, this is NO Moped jumped up to be a Sports Bike.
    This IS the genuine Yamaha R Series machine, albeit with a powerful 125cc powerplant that will get you taking off from the traffic lights much faster than your average saloon.

I'm no Valentino Rossi, but this bike makes even ME look good!
    I'm on a CBT too, and my bike is first and foremost a commuter.
    At 250 miles a tank full, i'm laughing all the way to the bank.
    And so will you! :)

Craige, JsyBiker and Kinetic like this.
  17. Kinetic

Kinetic Member

All hail firefly! Man u should write a book ,,

JsyBiker and martyn like this.

18. beautifully said firefly you may have convinced me, i travel to and from ealing west ldn each day, so pretty much down the road from the a406!

19. Firefly

Firefly Member

Hmm, I have been riding through West Ealing on my way to Ealing Broadway Shopping Centre on some weekends. If you ever see a Dude in a White HJC Helmet with Fighter Pilot Tinted Shield deployed, riding an elusive R125 "Wasp" (so called, because of the rare and unique Yellow and Black colour), that would be me ;).

JsyBiker likes this.

20. cool! if i see you ill put two thumbs up! actually i think i might of seen you! i work in that centre!