ram-air

Discussion in 'Technical Discussions' started by Ricstar_wr125x, Jan 15, 2010.

1. just wondering if the r125 has ram-air because i was gonna try make it myself ,
    or if anyone has tried this already it seems pretty simple

2. kevshek

kevshek Guest

nope, the R doesnt, it has an inlet to the airbox, but it faces the rear. You will have to consider water ingress in your design for when riding in the wet.

3. MikasPT

MikasPT staff Staff Member

4. Benji

Benji Guest

Another thing before setting off letting the engine take air from the front, is the heat of the engine making the air less dense due to heat, less air means less fuel can be mixed and therefore less power.

The space from the front of the fairing to the airbox is very tight, I was poking around in there the other day, and the routing of the piping would be a nightmare, as you need to take into account the forks and there movement as well.

5. MikasPT

you can always use a PVC tube and stick near front turns lighs, them connect the end do the air box. if you think the results are good them try to see in ebay for a cbr600F ram air tube. it is very small and fit in yamaha front space. i already try with plastics parts of a cbr600f of a friend and you can install it. the only problem is the tube inside the bike. but maybe you can use the original plastic under the seat and make that like a conduct. or you can try ebay for a yamaha VMAX ram air .
    [​IMG]
    regards

6. MikasPT

this pictures show a competion YZF R125 with Ram Air just see under the lights the 2 tubes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Benji

Benji Guest

Good find my friend, like the pictures, wonder what filter/air box they are running.

8. MikasPT

Hello, Dear Friend Benji
    maybe they use the 2 tubes that haven't no connection in the end from the throttle body.
    but i can't find more information about this.
    Regards

9. Benji

Benji Guest

They are either going into the airbox, or directing colder air directly at a cone filter attached straight to the throttle body, but it does illustrate nicely that there must be space to route some hoses within the fairing, think it might be time to have a play next time the fairings are off. They would be more efficient if they had scoops on the front.

10. rx1280

rx1280 Member

Could we use this hose as shown below as a ram air system, remove the plug on hose no 29 and attach a new hose on no 28, my concern would be dust and dirts coming in

[​IMG]

11. Benji

Benji Guest

No if you go for either of those you miss out going via the filter, and are putting unfiltered air direct into the engine via the throttle body, any grit thrown up, will then be in the engine not in the air filter. The other thing you are trying to maintain is a laminar airflow into the engine as it maintains it's speed better. Hence the reason for the long piece of 21 that is in the airbox. Those other two pipes resonators to try and cancel out induction noise, not quiet sure why, hence they are called silencers.

12. rx1280

rx1280 Member

thats what i thought, so it should come before the filter, drilling top case for a bung and a hose do the trick i suppose.. Its interesting i might do this project

13. Benji

Benji Guest

That was what I was thinking of doing, when it comes to trying this, going to see what size ducting I can get, I don't really want to be smaller on the ducts than the diameter of the throttle body, but this is made easier by two pipes.

14. rx1280

rx1280 Member

the thing with this ram air, it took a lot of room and material. Come to think of it again :D how does this better than an air injection. It sells for $50 and it utilize cold air too. Maybe it look cooler with the two pipe blazing out of fairing :roll: . confused

15. kevshek

kevshek Guest

the idea is good, and it does work, thats why bigger bikes have it, but i have my doubts. problem is, if you have the 2 pipes fitted, youre essentially having 2 air streams opposing each other head on, and the air it at 90 degrees to where it needs to go. fair enough if it was aimed towards the TB, but it aint. this means, it will either force its way into the engine or the airbox or both. this could also cause the mixture to run rich if not enough air goes into the engine, or just upset the air pressure sensor. either way, it doesnt look good.

if anything, maybe make a fitting/u bend to fit over the openings at the rear of the airbox, at least the air will be filtered, and take the same route as normal, but i dont think there is enough room.

16. rx1280

rx1280 Member

one thing i agree, its a very case sensitive bike, ive tried removing the top case air box ( daytona proven method) and/or attached cone filter to TB, this small adjustment did make the bike accelerate better and the one with cone filter are the best at giving performance. With that in mind, a gush of cold air running through the filter are unthinkable result ( excellent result). I dont think its matter where you put the hose on the airbox inlet , or make a new hole on top front end, as it will goes through the same filter. It just will be colder and faster.
    I,m thinking using a rubber hose, far more flexible than a rigid pvc.

17. MikasPT

Hello,
    First it works. I say this just because that is a competition motorcycle, if don't work they never put in the bike.
    Second we don’t know what are inside tube maybe a material to filter air and if have that material inside them can be connect in 2 tubes that are in schematics.
    The problem I think is can be use in normal use of motorcycle?
    Because in competition if the engine runs better and can finish the x laps they use but in a longtime use. Can break motor? In competition they don’t care about longtime problems.
    But the idea is good. Let’s try to find more information.
    Regards

18. MikasPT

this is the original link of pictures: http://www.moto-station.com/article...amaha-125-yzf-r-a-l_epreuve-de-la-piste-.html

19. Benji

Benji Guest

I personally think they will be both linked to the airbox, that way having two streams won't make as much difference as the filter will sort out the evening of the streams. If you put the pipes back inside the body and put some moulded collectors I think it would look better, when I have a smoke machine rigged up at work next, I will give the nose of the bike a run over just to highlight were the points of low and high pressure are, I have my suspicions but would like to confirm it.

20. In essence you have to weigh up cost and time vs performance increase. Your talking minimal if that; honestly I don't believe it's a modfication worth exploring - forcing cold air directly into the airbox will only increase pressure on the warm causing less fuel to get into the engine and in essence your back to sqaure one. Obviously running it past the inlet manifold will minimise this but even so the increase won't be worth the effort -

In addition increasing pressure in the air box could causing a convection current pressuring the inlet manifold causing back pressure to increase thus allowing even less air into the engine than was originally intended... Back pressure is something you want in the outlet manifold; the opposite end of the engine!

That's my two pence anyway,

Jamie