Tick Over

Discussion in 'WR125X WR125R Discussions' started by Cips007, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Cips007

Cips007 Member

My bike runs perfect,starts perfect too,but have noticed if I start from cold,ride about a mile and pull over with engine running,it's getting the odd drop in revs as if it's going to stall!! It's perfect when warm,but I've stopped at the ATM few times and it does this,but only after a short ride!
    Any ideas?
    I've checked plug lead etc but all seems fine?

2. Blazer

Blazer Member

When first started from cold the injector squirts more fuel into the engine for a short while, so the revs will be high then drop once the engine has warmed up, if the revs are up and down it may be something to do with the temp sensor the thermostat or the coolant level, a low oil level may also cause the engine run uneven. If none of these seem to be the problem then maybe the airfilter needs cleaning. The only other thing i can think of, is that a seal may be letting air into the throttle body or the throttles butterfly valve is sticking. Hope this helps.:)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Cips007 likes this.
  3. Cips007

Cips007 Member

The idle is very stable,but your probably right about the fueling when not warmed up. I've only notice this when I've only travelled about a mile from cold,if I leave the bike ticking over while I call at ATM it has sometimes momentarily dropped in revs/missed for a split second. And it makes sense because it's running rich anyway because of my tiger system (slightly sooty on spark plug end)
    I've started it and let it tick over from cold until heated up,but the misfire doesn't occur at all,I've checked all ignition wiring/plug cap etc while it's running to see if it splutters etc but again it's fine,revs do drop a little once warm,but that should be normal once warmed up. Thanks mate,thought I had an issue!

4. Blazer

Blazer Member

My old engine ran rich, and when i tried fitting an iridium spark plug the bike would start and run fine for about a week, then it would miss the odd beat and eventually i'd have trouble starting the engine. After removing the spark plug and cleaning it everything was fine again. A normal spark plug worked fine and only occasionally it would miss a beat. It seems the iridium spark plugs thin electrode can easily be smothered by a rich running engine. My old engine ran pretty rich and it lasted to just over 30000 miles before i noticed the performance starting to drop off and changed it, so these engines seem to last well with a rich mix.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  5. Cips007

Cips007 Member

I have the standard ngk fitted,was going to try the iridium,but I'll probably get issues like you've had too mate

Blazer likes this.
  6. Blazer

Blazer Member

Tbh running an iridium spark plug didn't seem to give any performance benefits anyway.